Our aim is to support you and your loved one, by providing specialist dementia care and support from our highly trained and experienced staff.
Dementia can be a frustrating and isolating illness, My Care at Home understand this and offer quality home care to support you loved one.
Our home care workers support the individual not their condition. We take time to explore their lifetime of experiences and then tailor their home care to meet their individual needs. We focus on what they can do or enjoy doing rather than what they can no longer achieve.
With the support of a key home care worker, we encourage clients and their families to complete a memory book, full of past memories and experiences, including likes and dislikes. These can be continually added to and are a great way for care staff to learn more about you and your family and help evoke lovely memories. We are also pleased to provide reminiscence boxes, which include stimulating books and items from the ‘olden days’.
We can provide the following services as part of their home care plan, but if your loved one has different interests we always endeavour to explore how we can support them.
- Creating a Memory book, with support of the client, family and friends
- Light conversation and Reminiscing – using information from Memory book and Reminisce box to stimulate and explore some great memories and pleasurable experiences.
- Providing personal care, which may include support with hair and makeup.
- Listening to Music, reading and sharing poetry.
- Playing Games or doing puzzles / crossword
- Support with light Housework, Cooking & Gardening – helping support a much loved past time, whilst ensuring their safety and enjoyment.
- Companionship and Social outings – Taking them out to enjoy their favourite pleasures or hobbies. This could be going out for walks, going Dancing, to the seaside, shopping excursions, or accompanying you to social events with your family and friends.
Each home care worker attends our mandatory training on person-centred dementia care, delivered by our Training Co-ordinator, Claire. Our training addresses the complex needs of people with dementia, ranging from compassion to safety, communication and challenging behaviour. We believe having a key carer for each client is essential in providing top quality care for those with Dementia.
Our Home Care Manager has had extensive training and years of experience in Dementia care. She is available either by telephone or in person for all staff, clients and their relatives with information and advice. She keeps up-to-date with the latest developments in Dementia care and shares this information as appropriate. As part of the initial assessment, she can offer advice to make your home feel more safe and secure.
We are always up-to-date with the charities, organisations and events in the local area. If you would like more information we would love to hear from you, please speak to our Care Manager, on 01449 678000.
If you would like to know more about Dementia Care, please follow this link http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/ to the Alzheimers Society website, they have lots of useful information and resources.