Keeping an elderly relative out of hospital is a really important goal. Neither you, nor your loved one wants to make that dreaded trip to the hospital. A set back that causes a relative to go into hospital can have more complications meaning their condition could decline rapidly, both mentally and physically.
We are not saying avoid the hospital at all costs, because a trip to hospital is often necessary to receive medical care. However, no one wants to have a stay in hospital if they can help it so My Care at Home have provided some tips on how you can avoid that trip to the hospital:
• Follow the doctor’s orders – listen to the GP’s advice, they are professionals and know what is best for your relative
• Don’t ignore symptoms – If something seems to be causing your relative some pain or they don’t feel quite right, encourage them to visit their GP and get it sorted early to avoid the condition getting worse. It might be nothing, but it’s better to get it checked out.
• Reduce the risk of falls and accidents – keep your elderly relatives home tidy and clutter free to avoid any potential trip hazards and ensure hallways and stairs are well lit.
• Physical and mental activity – try to keep your relative as active as possible in order to keep the simple tasks much easier, the heart and brain are like muscles and need to be used to prevent deterioration.
• Healthy Diet – This will keep blood pressure and cholesterol low reducing the risk of any circulatory problems.
Professional Care Companies such as My Care at Home provide care of the highest quality in order to support our clients to remain independent in their own homes. Call 01449 763086 or come and see us at our office at 117 Ipswich Street, Stowmarket to find out more about the services we provide.